Thursday, July 10, 2014

DIY Photo Canvas


I've always loved those photo canvases you see everywhere - but I've never been a huge fan of the price tag that comes with them...see?


I had always wanted to make my own, and I totally didn't realize how EASY & CHEAP they are to make! I made this 8X10 photo canvas for around $2, and you can too!

You'll need an 8X10 canvas (I found these in packs of two at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 & used a 40% off coupon), Mod-Podge, a paintbrush, tissue paper, & an inkjet printer.


Cut a sheet of tissue paper to slightly larger than an 8.5X11" sheet of paper. I have an abundance of tissue paper leftover still from my wedding, so I didn't have to buy any.

If you want a crinkly, distressed look as your final product, this is all you need to do. However, if you want your canvas to be smooth and free of wrinkles, you can iron your tissue paper with high heat & no steam. I opted to just leave mine as it is - a little wrinkly. I also used an off-white color.



Tape the tissue around a regular sheet of copy paper. This is what you'll be feeding into your printer. Once you've selected the photo you'd like to use, print it out using the 8X10 dimensions. If you print it as a full page, some of your photo might be cut off. Here's what it looks like on my computer...


The tissue paper sheet should come out the other end of your printer just like a normal sheet of paper would, and this is what it will look like:


Notice how the photo is a little distressed because I didn't iron my tissue paper? If you don't like this look, ironing it smooth takes only a few seconds. DON'T iron after your image has printed, though! Do it beforehand!

Cut out your image (it's already a perfect 8X10). Brush the top of your canvas with a thin coat of Mod-Podge, and then lay your image down on top of it.


Generously brush 1-2 coats of Mod-Podge across the top of your photo, starting in the middle and forcing any air bubbles from the center to the ends. Make sure to secure the sides around the ends of the canvas as well.


Don't worry if it looks a mess at first - once the sealer dries, the image will go back to normal. Here's what my two canvases looked like as they were drying:


Again, the wrinkles were intentional.
& that's it! I finished both of these in less than twenty minutes!


I'm planning on making several more of these and giving them as wedding gifts to some friends who are getting married throughout the rest of the year (spoiler alert if any of you are reading this :D).

What are you waiting for? Go & be creative :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...