Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Top 10 Go-To Meals


Before I got married, I would cook occasionally - but I definitely wasn't prepared for cooking and meal-planning on a regular basis for a man who requires meat at every. single. meal.

I think I've finally gotten into the swing of things though, and I find myself cooking similar things on a weekly basis but with enough variety to keep both of us content: him with his passionate love of all things meat, and my gluten-free-ness.

Here are 10 Go-To Meals for all three meals that I make over and over and OVER again - but that never get old.

1. Eggs, bacon, and biscuits. I don't usually make biscuits from scratch, (and I only do them for Sean anyway) so I buy the break-apart ones you just pop in the oven. He likes them better than homemade, anyway. I think I need some Southern ladies to teach me how to make them ;)

2. Grilled chicken salad. I serve this either with honey mustard or ranch, but it's still something I enjoy more than my husband. Ha.

3. Chili. I am actually quite proud of this one. I've mastered my recipe and can make a huge pot in under 15 minutes. It's an adapted recipe from The Pioneer Woman, and I'll post a recipe on the blog soon! Chili freezes and reheats really well, and tastes the best after simmering in the crock-pot all day.

4. Grilled chicken, potatoes, and veggies. I usually make this at least once a week (or some variation of it). The chicken we grill with either Italian dressing or Pampered Chef's Greek Rub, and then I just steam some veggies and fry a couple potatoes with some olive oil in a skillet with salt, pepper, and basil.

5. Burgers & fries. Sean loves meals like these - and I'm a fan myself ;) We grill up burgers with all the fixings, and bake some crinkle cut fries. It's so much better for you than fast food, especially when I can make mine with GF bread!

6. Chicken Barley Soup. I posted the recipe to this super easy and flavorful soup here. This is another one that comes together quickly, is satisfying, and reheats well. I'll often buy a whole roaster chicken, roast it one day and use the leftovers for this soup with homemade bone broth.

7. Country Style Ribs. We often find good deals on pork at places like Aldi and while we don't eat it all the time, we probably have pork about once a month for some variety.

8. Spaghetti & Meat Sauce. I like to make my own sauce with beef from his family's cows and fresh/canned tomatoes. Then I buy GF pasta which, when covered in sauce and Parmesan, is pretty fantastic.

9. Pancakes. Um. Because pancakes.

10. Chicken & Rice. I make this so many ways...with cheese and beans, or healthier with snow peas and carrots.

What are some of your go-to meals? What recipes do you come back to over and over again? I'd love to hear them! 

10 comments:

  1. My go-to meal is salmon, sweet potato and asparagus. Every time. Salmon thaws quickly and cooks quickly and I can change it up based on my marinade or seasoning, so it's best when I don't feel like doing much. I can pop the sweet potato and the asparagus in the microwave, and we have dinner in less than 30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I would NEVER think to make that. Very unique, but sounds delicious. What do you typically season your salmon with? Do you use fresh or frozen asparagus? I think I'll try this meal this week!

      Delete
  2. mmmm!! My go to meals is meat loaf, sometimes and chicken. :) I'm learnng to be much more creative though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post, Beka. :) Hey, if you want awesome GF protein-filled pancakes that taste amazing, check out this recipe: http://homeiswheretheysendus.com/kid-approved-pancakes-trim-healthy-mama-style/ We make them on a weekly basis and they are a favorite with everyone in our family. We serve them with fresh fruit or jam or frozen berries that we thawed. Super delicious. Only we omit the stevia because honestly, they're so good, we think they don't need the added sweetness. Just thought you might be interested. :) Xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! Those look delicious! & super easy! Yummy!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE pork ribs but have been too scared to try them myself. I vote you post the recipe for yours and how to prepare it on the blog! Or just email it to me, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, that's the thing - my husband is usually the one who makes them! I think he usually uses a homemade Creole seasoning blend I found off allrecipes.com awhile back. He did make a note, though, to NOT overcook them!

      Delete
  5. salmon & asparagus is our go-to meal!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing I love making is the Pampered Chef Cheesy Mostaciolli (spelled wrong...). It is a great change from overused spaghetti go-to, and it pretty easy as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...