Thursday, April 10, 2014

Blogger Confessions


1. When did you first start blogging and why?
I started blogging the spring I turned sixteen. I had always loved to write, and kept journals faithfully my life until I started blogging more regularly. Why I Blog: to blow off steam, share any valuable information others might appreciate, and now I do it to connect with others back home, to network with other like-minded women, to grow as an author and site-builder, and to encourage those who are on a similar journey as I am.

2. Have you had any past online presence?
Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Skype, AIM, etc. etc. etc. Now I'm mostly just on (shameless plugs) Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

3. When did you become serious about your blog?
Around November of this past year. I got married in August and moved to a new state with a new husband and a new family and a new church and a new job and I felt like for the first time in my life, I had something to write about. I spent about a month tweaking my site, and as the months go by I'm learning more and more!

4. What was your first blog post?
"God is infinitely amazing" I wrote exactly three years ago after some random youth conference I went to in Plymouth. I was feeling especially inspired when I wrote that, although looking back, it was a very typical youth-conference that probably got a lot of emotional teenagers fueled up with nothing to show for it. But anyway, you live and learn. My 2nd & much more Beka-like post was this one: "Another Awkward Conversation About Beka's Love Life With Her Extended Family."

5. What have been your biggest challenges blogging?
1st, finding the discipline to sit down and write something to completion. I have many half-written posts waiting to be finished. I love to write, I hate to edit.

2nd, realizing that even though it's MY blog, I'm really not writing for myself. I can't say everything I'd like, I can't complain about certain aspects of my life, I can't be as open as I'd like - because I have to realize that I have real-life readers that I know in real-life and while I can't please everyone, I'd like to use my words for good and not for evil.

3rd, trying to stay consistent and borrow the cliche, "true to myself." Some recent blogging goals of mine is to avoid sounding like every other blogger out there and remain unique and genuine.

6. What is the most rewarding thing about blogging?
Receiving thoughtful comments and emails from both regular readers and strangers who were encouraged in very specific ways because of my words. Nothing humbles me more than when people are blessed because of those times I'm brave enough to be honest on here. And while followers aren't everything, gaining new readers is always very rewarding.

7. What is the most discouraging thing about blogging?
Falling behind in my writing even though my brain is brimming with ideas, watching views plummet after a blogging absence, and receiving rude, anonymous comments.

8. What is your blogging dirty secret?
I write in spurts. I'll go a week without typing a word, and then I'll plan out ten day's worth of posts in one afternoon. Some people tell you to write even if you have writer's block - the words will come to you. For me, if I'm not inspired, I'm not going to force myself to write. I wait until I can't hold it in anymore and I write and write for an entire day.

9. What is your current goal as a blogger?
To schedule at least one post for every one I publish.

10. Have you learned to become passionate about anything through blogging that caught you by surprise?
Absolutely yes! I have become more passionate about EVERYTHING the more I blog and read other blogs. When I write frequently, I am pushed to look for inspiration in every day life more than I would if I wasn't recording my days and thoughts on a regular basis. I want to photograph more beauty, cook more delicious foods, and think sharper - all because of what blogging consistently has trained me to do.

2 comments:

  1. I love blogger confessions and seeing other bloggers' viewpoints on the same things I'm struggling with or dealing with! Great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! These are more helpful for ME to write out I think than anything! Thanks for tagging me when it was your time around! I loved reading your answers a second time to write my own as I went through my copied-and-pasted version from your blog! ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...