Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pinterest & Wedding Planning

I know several friends who are getting married this year, and I thought it would be fun to share with them (& everyone else) some ways that I utilized Pinterest during my wedding-planning last year. Pinterest is a GREAT tool - but I have some suggestions so you don't get too overwhelmed!


1. Create multiple boards for each separate area of the wedding.

If you lump everything you find into one board labeled "wedding" on your Pinterest, you'll end up having a lot of trouble finding your fantastic ideas when you need them. Everything becomes disorganized and confusing when put in only one spot. I would recommend boards for Reception, Ceremony, Food, Bridal Party, Hair Ideas, etc.


2. Follow other soon-to-be-bride's boards for continual inspiration.

Who knows - you might find something you didn't even know you were looking for! Here's the links to the Wedding Boards of some good friends of mine who are getting married this year. What are you waiting for? Go follow them!


3. Don't present simply a list of Pinterest photos to your photographer for him/her to copy.

I know, the photos on Pinterest are beautiful and you want the photos of YOUR big day to look EXACTLY like the ones online. However, many photographers have told me, as well as multiple online sources, that they grow frustrated of clients who give them a list of Pinterest photos to copy. This really discourages the creative process of a photographer & in working with you & your partner - a unique couple. A photographer is an artist, and when they have to reduce their work to simply a copy...well, I'm sure you understand. 

I still did this, however, and only heard after my wedding that this wasn't the best idea. Thankfully we had friends take our photos for both our engagement and wedding who were understanding...and honestly? My favorite shots were the ones that were created on. the. spot. based on our circumstances and mine and Sean's personalities.

A favorite random, candid shot (he was talking to me about something and the photographer snapped this. You can even see the parking lot in the background):


and here's a Pinterest one - still great, but the creative, original ones seriously turn out the best!


4. On the other hand - copying Pinterest for decoration ideas can yield amazing results. But be gracious with yourself.

I wouldn't have thought to do any of the things listed below if not for Pinterest. But don't be too discouraged if your DIY projects don't turn out exactly like Pinterest (mine didn't!), and always view it as inspiration, not something you must follow step-by-step. Here's some of what we did (ours is on the right of each photo):


5. Finally, limit your time on Pinterest.

I cannot stress this enough!!! Just like how generic Pinterest-stock photos can discourage creativity in photographers, too much exposure to Pinterest's content can and probably will discourage creativity in your own planning process. I discovered this shortly after being engaged when I was pinning stuff like craaazy. I would go to the craft store, or try to sketch something out, and I would feel limited on what I could do because I already saw it on Pinterest a certain way. So I obviously had to do it that same way! My own creativity started to dwindle away after too much time spent on Pinterest. Try to limit your time, so that you have plenty of space to be creative yourself!

What do you think? If you're engaged, how are you using Pinterest while planning your wedding? If recently married, would you agree with my points? Have anything to add?

11 comments:

  1. these are great tips!!! there are SO many ideas on pinterest which is great but can also be part of the problem! because there's too many to possibly look at - and you want your wedding to have some original creativity & your own touch! what i did was i browsed on pinterest some... found ideas i liked... and made them my own! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear someday about some Pinterest ideas YOU made your own for your wedding, Robyn! :)

      Delete
  2. I am seriously impressed with the photos from your wedding details!!! What a sense of accomplishment to see that and say..."Wow! We pulled it off!" (Well, thanks to Jen Raimundo and Renee Stokes many, many others that I'd be afraid to mention by name for fear of leaving someone out) And it was a perfect, beautiful day. I am only now beginning to be able to see that since my eyes have been a little blurred over missing you these past months. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I learned the hard way! I pinned everything onto one board and then they all got lost in the sea of them. I definitely agree with a board for each area of the wedding to keep things organized and ideas easily accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely did this at first! I then spent a lot of time (too much...mostly when I should have been working on school :P) organizing all of them. But it was so worth it, because I came back to my Pinterest boards over and over again!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Beka! What great ideas! I have a different wedding board on pinterest that has plenty more ideas than the one you originally posted for me and this is the link: http://www.pinterest.com/adrelizabeth/wedding-planning/ I hope it helps someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren! I'll make sure to update it. Oh, when's the big day, by the way? Have a date set?

      Delete
  5. This is amazing!! I wish I had read this before my wedding a couple summers ago! :) Pinterest was awesome but also totally overwhelming lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tips! Thank you! Another thing I would add- it's really, really easy to start second-guessing EVERY.SINGLE.CHOICE. when you see so many options on pinterest. I mean, did I really pick the right dress? I love it, but maybe I could have done better....is my color scheme too normal....we wanted original, but now burlap and lace is normal...do we change everything? Remember, you are planning a wedding, not a talent show. Yes, you want it to be well done- but it isn't a competition. It's ok to let go of some things...seriously, I promise. My favorite way to simplify things is just asking myself "6 months from now, on my wedding day, am I even going to notice this? Will it be meaningful to me then, or am I just trying to impress?" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good points Erica!! It's fun to look back on all that you accomplished, definitely, but in the long run all that really matters is that you get to marry the love of your life ;) And trust me, on that day, you probably won't even notice half the little details or what went on behind the scenes! I found out all that afterward! I was so busy the whole time talking to people!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...