Friday, February 7, 2014

Why I Blog


I keep getting this question asked of me...whether it's other bloggers, Sean, my mom, etc:

"why do you blog?" 

well, to put it simply, if I don't write: I will explode. seriously.

ever since I was a little girl I've journaled, & I've been blogging since I was barely sixteen on a Wordpress site I would be quite humiliated to share with y'all now!

there's something so amazing about creating something with words, and pictures, and then sharing it with others.

this is why i blog:

we live in a culture of consumerism; we're so willing to ingest media & fill our brains and minds with what other people have created. but how often do we actually sit down & create something of our own?

A blog is a piece of art; it's a scrapbook of your life; it's a journey through words; it chronicles the years as they pass, and records the memories as they occur. With pictures and feedback and pretty colors.

A blog is also a wonderful outlet for ministry & discipleship. Don't have the time or energy or resources to write a book about all the things the Lord is teaching you? Start a blog. Write as you learn. Share it with others. Let them glorify God with you, alongside you.

A blog is a place where you can share fun facts you've discovered, interesting new & upcoming events, sales & deals that others might appreciate.

A blog is a platform for your life, on display for all to see - & it is something that can be used for good or for evil. For humble, God-glorifying purposes, or to advance your own selfish agenda. But hey, isn't that the danger of any social media? Whether it be Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram? A blog is an opportunity to exercise discernment & humility. It can do great good, but it can also do great harm. It requires wisdom.

I pray that my blog is a platform to magnify the Glory of God in my life, so that others might see & glorify Him with me.




I'm linking up with Lauren & Hayley this week for The Girl Between The Lines!

Girl Between the Lines Link up

21 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job with your blog Beka. I definitely enjoy reading it. Lots of new content is always awesome. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MusickMan! I appreciate it!

      BTW - that pic is super old! Brought back memories of ETWAP days! ;)

      Delete
    2. I know - that pic is from almost pre College plus! Wow, those are crazy days to think about... That was pre - Sean + Beka ;)

      Delete
  2. I think you took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you for so eloquently explaining a question I often get and sometimes ask myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! Glad you agree. I'd love to hear one of these days why YOU blog!

      Delete
  3. I love that verse!! i have it tattooed on my ribs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's neat! Thanks for taking the time to stop by the blog, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Beka, I say amen and yes, yes, YES!!! I'm so glad you are investing the energy to publish something more than "sound bites." You're doing a wonderful job glorifying our magnificent God! Go, girl! Go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, sister!!! I love this post. I agree with everything you said... but also, I'm so encouraged!! Sometimes I wonder why I put all of this effort into my blog, but this is EXACTLY why I do it! Thanks for this encouragement today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad it could encourage you, Lauren! :)

      Delete
  6. Love this so much, Beka! You explain the reasons so beautifully and clearly. Especially love the phrase, "If I don't write, I will explode." It's very nice to know someone else feels the same way! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you can relate! I love reading your blog, Carla, your writings are so much fun!

      Delete
  7. YES! I love blogging for all of these reasons as well! I also loved that you mentioned how our blogs are platforms for sharing the gospel and God's love! The other reasons are great, but that one is my favorite! :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! My life is far too much about ME anyway, & I don't want my blog to be that way. I'm glad you agree!! & thanks for featuring me this week! Wonderful surprise to see my name on there this morning :D

      Delete
  8. I love this, Beka! I want my blog to be both a place that is fun for me to come to every day, but I also want to share the bits and pieces about my life that bring glory back to the Lord. You are absolutely right that our blogs are platforms for either good or bad. My husband and I had a conversation not too long ago that those that write whether a novel or a blog should write because you would die inside if you didn't and not to glorify ourselves by focusing too much on who is reading and affirming us. It was a challenging conversation that I've been thinking a lot about lately!
    Eva Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes people will blog or write books just to spit out information that doesn't really benefit anyone, just so that they can say "Look what I did!" That shouldn't be our goal at all! That's definitely a challenging concept - write because you would die if you didn't ;) Thanks for your thoughts, Eva Marie!!!

      Delete
  9. I'm also of this writing type. I started my first journal when I was 7...and then for a long time my writing was in the form of college essays and near-daily page long emails to my parents about my college adventures. Currently, the form my writing takes is blogging, and I love the joy and good things that can come out of this little hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too at one point in my life with my parents (& my now husband). It was always fun to read the emails back, too. Blogging truly is a great form of that exact thing!

      Delete
  10. I feel the same way about blogging. Sometimes I just have to get it out there! It's therapeutic! In the beginning years of my blogging, I really didn't care if anyone commented or even looked at my blog as long as I was able to get my thoughts on the screen. Now, it's nice to be able to network and connect with other bloggers. I have to thank bloglovin' for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is therapeutic - and was just like you at the beginning too! Only recently have I begun to actually CARE when people read my ramblings. & bloglovin' is the best!!! thanks for the follow, by the way! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...