Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Our New Car & Other Things

Sean and I finally found a car on Craigslist earlier this week. It's a huge relief to both of us, especially Sean, because he was SO concerned about finding a car as soon as possible! I didn't quite understand it at first, but then I realized that the sooner we find a car, the sooner we can chop our monthly gas budget in half, the sooner we can have an extra TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH, PEOPLE.

Yes, that's how serious it was that we stopped driving our Mercury Mountaineer all over God's green earth. Last night as we were driving home from picking up the new Civic in Nashville, I was getting 13.5mpg on our cute little SUV.

$55 in gas, gone in just 2-3 trips to town, is noooot cool.

We bought this little guy from a blonde Californian college grad who wanted something new. She took fantastic care of the thing! It's only 2-door, but it has decent room inside & less than 125,000 miles. Definitely a steal.


I was never, ever, ever, EVER interested in cars, or how they work, or what cars are what, or anything like that before now. This whole car search has actually driven me nuts. It was only toward the end of everything that I realized how much I learned & how beneficial it is to know what's under the hood of a vehicle, and what to look for when searching for a new ride. 

While driving around town today to get new license plates (or "tags" as they call them down here) & to update our insurance, I was scrolling through my Facebook feed & came across several posts in a row that were obnoxiously prideful & self-centered. Not only were they selfish, but they were written in such a way that would make someone reading it feel inferior in comparison to the original poster. What am I talking about? Those who write all over Facebook how their life is perfect, how they accomplish so much, how they have everything together, look at me look at me look at me!!! 

Facebook gives an audience to those who probably shouldn't have one.

Ugh.

And in an effort to avoid being a pharisee (luke 18:9-14), I ought to say that **I** am not innocent of this either. I need to be abundantly careful to use Facebook as a tool for the glory of God, and not as a platform for my own agenda & pride. We all need to do this.

Anyway. Rant over.

2 things before I finish this up,

1. Bill Nye & Ken Ham are having a highly-anticipated debate RIGHT NOW LIVE & FOR FREE!
Click here to stream it live! (you have to pay for it later if you miss it this time). If you're not familiar with either of these men, to simply put it,

one is a staunch evolutionist, 

one is a committed creationist. 

They're debating stuff. 

It's pretty intense.

2. If you remember, I wrote about ModCloth dresses awhile back. They're super cute, generally modest (some are ehh), fashionable dresses of fantastic quality. They have some really good sales, too! Right now the ModCloth Make The Cut program is hosting a design contest that invites the Modcloth community to design garments, graphics, or fabric prints. It's main mission is to create clothing designed by their consumers. Click the image for more information & to enter!


**My full disclosure page can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Congrats on your new car!!! :-) It's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the new car!!! Honda's are so great!!!

    i definitely agree with you about facebook. i rarely look at my newsfeed anymore, if i even log on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog, Beka! You write so well and I'm sitting here laughing about cars and an extra two hundred dollars a month. :) ~Shiloh

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...