Thursday, January 30, 2014

Gluten Nonsense (& SUPEREASY GF Saucepan Brownies)


In an awful turn of events apart from my own choosing - I am now eating gluten free.

I know some people go off of wheat for a time for health reasons (bless their hearts) & I tried that once - never made it more than a couple days before cheating. - but that is not what happened here.

It all started with "random surprise childbirth-level stomach cramps on a weekly basis" (as Victoria so appropriately put it) that had me lying paralyzed on the couch or in the car if we were out & about places. My stomach was so bloated all the time (to follow along with the pregnancy analogies, i looked 4 months pregnant all the time. and I'm not even pregnant at all, so don't get excited yet people.), my joints swollen, my mind foggy, my body sluggish, etc. It was quite awful.

After some research, conversation with other people diagnosed with celiac & gluten intolerances, & a strict GF-diet for about a month, I have self-diagnosed myself with SOMETHING gluten related. I'm allergic or intolerant or something along those lines.

I'll probably write more about this in the future when/if I get allergy tested, and I'll keep y'all updated on how I feel! So far I only have the occasional intestinal issue after about a month of strict gluten free eating, and I'm feeling a TON better.

I came up with these gluten-free brownies for a potluck at church, and they were 
SO RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. 

I'm not even going to try & be bashful here - THEY WERE GREAT. 

AND SO EASY. 

For a newbie gluten-free baker, I only had Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix in my pantry, so I used that. No special flours or xanthan-whatever here, folks. And, everything's made in one saucepan on your stove. Easy-peasy.

So here you are. Knock yourself out.

(I apologize, these pics are not the best. It was dark outside. I had to take them in the kitchen. Natural light DOES make a difference!)

Gluten Free Saucepan Brownies

To start:
  • 1 1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (or, like me, you can just throw in however many your heart so desires...)
  • 1 stick salted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3/4 c. Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (see link above)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • cooking spray

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8X8 pan.
2. Begin by melting chocolate chips & butter in saucepan over medium heat. Make sure chocolate doesn't burn!
3. Once fully melted, remove from heat & add sugar, flour, eggs, & vanilla. Stir until combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes. Hint! Always underbake things like brownies & cookies - they will continue to bake as they cool.

AND THAT'S IT, PEOPLE. Try not to eat the whole pan.


You're welcome.


4 comments:

  1. Beka I have been GF off and on since last February. I also kind of self diagnosed. I had very similar symptoms. I feel so much better. When I cheat and go off of GF I am ok if it is small doses. But if I really let loose I am back to the painful pregnancy cramps. Awful. I have a gluten free board on pinterest and just pinned what looks like a fabulous chocolate cake. I can't wait to try it. Good luck. You are in good hands down there since there are a lot of GF experts on hand in Sean's family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I had no idea Kelly! I'll definitely go & check out your gluten free board! And yes, with Sean's family & our church, eating gluten free isn't too much of a hassle.

      Delete
  2. Aww, doesn't sound like fun :/ But I"m glad you're feeling better :)

    No one in our family is gluten-free, but I'm a sucker for anything chocolate and these do look good... Maybe a new family movie night treat? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Megan! These ARE good. I honestly would choose regular brownies over gluten free ones...but these ARE pretty close to the real thing ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...