In an awful turn of events apart from my own choosing - I am now eating gluten free.
I know some people go off of wheat for a time for health reasons (bless their hearts) & I tried that once - never made it more than a couple days before cheating. - but that is not what happened here.
It all started with "random surprise childbirth-level stomach cramps on a weekly basis" (as Victoria so appropriately put it) that had me lying paralyzed on the couch or in the car if we were out & about places. My stomach was so bloated all the time (to follow along with the pregnancy analogies, i looked 4 months pregnant all the time. and I'm not even pregnant at all, so don't get excited yet people.), my joints swollen, my mind foggy, my body sluggish, etc. It was quite awful.
After some research, conversation with other people diagnosed with celiac & gluten intolerances, & a strict GF-diet for about a month, I have self-diagnosed myself with SOMETHING gluten related. I'm allergic or intolerant or something along those lines.
I'll probably write more about this in the future when/if I get allergy tested, and I'll keep y'all updated on how I feel! So far I only have the occasional intestinal issue after about a month of strict gluten free eating, and I'm feeling a TON better.
I came up with these gluten-free brownies for a potluck at church, and they were
SO RIDICULOUSLY GOOD.
I'm not even going to try & be bashful here - THEY WERE GREAT.
AND SO EASY.
For a newbie gluten-free baker, I only had Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix in my pantry, so I used that. No special flours or xanthan-whatever here, folks. And, everything's made in one saucepan on your stove. Easy-peasy.
So here you are. Knock yourself out.
(I apologize, these pics are not the best. It was dark outside. I had to take them in the kitchen. Natural light DOES make a difference!)
Gluten Free Saucepan Brownies
- 1 1/4 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (or, like me, you can just throw in however many your heart so desires...)
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (see link above)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- cooking spray
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8X8 pan.
2. Begin by melting chocolate chips & butter in saucepan over medium heat. Make sure chocolate doesn't burn!
3. Once fully melted, remove from heat & add sugar, flour, eggs, & vanilla. Stir until combined.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes. Hint! Always underbake things like brownies & cookies - they will continue to bake as they cool.
AND THAT'S IT, PEOPLE. Try not to eat the whole pan.